[ale] Help with postfix.

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Mon Jan 28 16:01:47 EST 2002

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 03:37:49PM -0500, Michael E. Barker wrote:
> I am trying to get postfix working with no prior experience of MTAs.
> >From what I gathered from postfix documentation it pretty much should
> work right out of the box.  This is true when everything is local but
> now I want to send from another host.
>
> Upon testing I recieved returned mail stating:
>
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 <email at addy>: Recipient address rejected:
> Relay access denied
>
> What does this mean and how can I fix it?

Well, it "generally" works, but there are choices that have to be made
correctly (do I use a "smarthost" mail relay, do I rewrite addresses,
etc.)

Need to see your conf file. It should be at /etc/postfix/main.cf.

Also, depending on your distribution, you may be able to do some
configuration with a tool. For instance, with Debian, you could run
'dpkg-reconfigure postfix', and (assuming the correct responses) get
something that works right off the bat..

Ken Kennedy	| http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com

 PGP signature