[ale] PCMCIA Network Cards

sangell at nan.net sangell at nan.net
Mon Jan 28 15:48:27 EST 2002

It was I that asked. I appreciate the info. I recieved several responses
from the group and the one I like best was for a Linksys from Office Max. I
went to every Office Max between Norcross and Gainesville and not a sngle
store had them in stock. As luck would have it I went home and started
digging through box after box of computer crap that I have in every nook
and cranny of my basement and I found a 3com PCMCIA card that I had
forgotten about. popped it in and away we go.

Thanks Office Max!!!!!!

Saved me about $40.00!!!!!!!!!!!!

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
\_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/

                    "Kevin
                    Krumwiede"           To:     "ALE List" <ale at ale.org>
                    <krum at smyrnaca       cc:
                    ble.net>             Subject:     [ale] PCMCIA Network Cards

                    01/28/2002
                    02:54 PM

Someone asked about PCMCIA network cards a while back.  I had purchased one
that same day and hadn't time to test it yet (I had loaned my laptop to my
girlfriend with Win98 on it).  It's a Hawking cardbus 10/100, the cheapest
thing at Micro Center that had a real port on it instead of a dongle.
Anyway, Mandrake 8.1 treats it as a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 (tulip), and
it
works perfectly.

Curiously, the box mentions that it supports Linux, and the driver disk
includes a module for it, but there is no Linux section in the installation
instructions.  I guess they just assume we don't need any help. :-)

Krum

be
sent to listmaster at ale dot org.