[ale] Hosed a drive

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Sun Jan 27 12:11:55 EST 2002

I was trying to do something that was recently mentioned here in order
to make a functional clone of a machine's only drive to another, smaller
drive (1.7GB to 863MB).

Anyway, I did some dd'ing and some copying while booted up in
single-user mode, and I appear to have whacked the target drive entirely.

With the target drive being the only one hooked up and jumper set
accordingly, at POST, I get "Failure Fixed Disk 0".

Booting up with Tom's Root Boot, I see:

Partition check
hda: irq timeout: status=0x58
		(DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest)
ide0: reset timed-out, status 0xd0 (busy)
.
.
.
hda: drive not ready for command
unable to read partition table

One thing that might have gone wrong was trying to dd from the /boot
partition of the source drive to the first partition in the target
drive, which was smaller (writing past partition boundary?)

Is there a way to get this drive back in service or have I created a
paperweight?

- Jeff