[ale] OT: corporate finance 101

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 22 08:42:33 EST 2002

Chris Farris wrote:

> The only scam comes in when say a CEO, lets call him Mr. LeDay, lies
> about how well a company is doing and their accounting firm (for our
> fictional example Andersen Arthur) is so incompetent they can't see
> through the lie (or perhaps doesn't want to).

See the problem with this whole approach is the downward spiral effect
this can cause.  CEO says it's been a rough year and we've got another
coming up, but after that, it's all smooth sailing.  You get a bunch of
folks dropping their stock, which causes the stock price to drop, which
costs the company money, and then the CEO has to amend his previous
statement to indicate there will be 2 more rough years, not one.  More
people dump the stock.

I believe this happened a lot with tech stocks lately.  People weren't
patient to see a company spend some cash to upgrade/purchase
facilities/equipment.  They saw the numbers, panic insues, they sell,
the stock drops, on and on.

I'm not saying that the CEO should lie.  My concern is that the life
blood of many companies (stock) is in the hands of a lot of impatient,
and often times ignorant people.
Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html