[ale] CS Degree necessary?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Jan 18 22:16:07 EST 2002

This is one of the best responses I've seen yet to the "degree vs.
non-degree" discussion.

I have a bias in this. At the age of 30, I went back to school to finish
my degree. I changed my major once (to physics) and went straight
through to complete my masters degree. I have taught college physics
labs for 5 years, as a senior undergrad, a grad student, and after
graduation as the lab coordinator at Emory University.

At 18, one has NO CLUE about why all that boring crap they are not
interested in is important.

At 30, I could see how understanding literature could help me to
understand the insane actions of a boss. Homer (not Simpson) was a
brilliant portrayor of the fallibilities of humans. As was the Bard and
all the other literature classics we all blew off in high school.

I turn 40 this year. (I intend on getting _very_ drunk to honor the
passing of a life milestone (as well as the end of a fiscally crappy
year)) This past year, I have also seen how the lack of this broad-based
knowledge acquired (and retained) by the modern, university,
degree-seeking student adversely affects those who have to work as a
subordinate to the "I am self-taught" person. While the self-taught
person is often extremely capable in their narrow field, they are often
lacking in the most important aspect of adult life, communication. That,
above all else, is what the bachelor's degree aims to teach to students.
Sure, the student will learn some specific tools relevent to their
chosen field. But faculty meetings are about finding ways to teach
students to communicate both what they know and what they don't.

Anyone who skips this student process misses out on tens of thousands of
man years of effort to discern the most effective ways of inducing
people to voice their misunderstandings and espouse their understandings
to others. This is important because it is the process that injects the
literate, communicative people into society where they, in consort with
others like them, cajole society as a whole to strive for something
better than they are now. They are the catalysts for progress that sets
the timber of development that leads to a better world for all.

Every one who can perform the difficult should seek a degree if for no
other reason than the personal gratification of accomplishing an arduous
task. If by some small chance they discover a way to improve the lot of
mankind in the process, however minute, then their effort along the
journey will be remembered by all of those whose lives are directly
touched by their knowledge and efforts.

Those who have the ability to "do well" with out the degree are those
who will astound the world with their talents while achieving it.