[ale] CS Degree necessary?

Kevin O'Neill Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 22:04:41 EST 2002

I'm with Vernard on this one. I can't hold my tongue any longer.

    To begin, I am bias. I believe that formal education, depending on the
institution, is of a great deal of importance and I would never detour
anyone from perusing such a goal. Personally, I believe that at some point
in time, it was not "as" necessary to obtain formal education when skilled
tradesman would pour their life and knowledge into an apprentice. I believe
that America in general, and maybe other countries, have lost the art of a
mentor/apprentice relationship thus making it necessary for an individual to
pay a fee to obtain just a portion of the knowledge that they would
otherwise learn from a mentor.

    Before I began my IT career I was in the automotive field. I obtained a
formal education but I also had the honor of being mentored by 3 senior
techs. The skills that I obtained from watching, asking and making mistakes
under supervision far out weighted the amount of knowledge that I gained in
my formal education.

    At any rate, all that to say. At this time, it is still my goal to
attend Georgia Tech for CS but the time, energy, and heart ache that is put
into my college career will never supersede the solid mentor relationships
that I have been or will be a part of.

just my 2 cents....

Kevin O'Neill Stoll
http://kevinstoll.org/