[ale] CS Degree necessary?

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Thu Jan 17 03:33:45 EST 2002

Well, here's my take on it....if you're seriously into computers, then go
for some other kind of degree. If you plan to get a degree, do it in
something other than CS. My reasoning? You're into computers already, so you
aren't going to stop that. You'll want to advance at some point, so give
yourself another level of education to help that out. Personally, I say
major in business. Otherwise, 5 or 10 years down the road, you'll be looking
at taking courses in business on your offtime. The computer stuff will come
to you (if you're really serious about it), and the business degree will
help you with any job you go for. Heck, ANY degree will help out (for the
most part). Yes, you can get great jobs with experience. But a degree is
what companies look for. It shows that, if nothing else, you can complete
something.. Sure, there are many companies out there that will hire a Steve
Jobs or Bill Gates type - the guy who knows more than a degree can give.
Don't plan on that, though. You may be young, but look towards the future
(that's the reason for the question, right?).

In other words, if you're smart with computers, the jobs will be there. If
you are planning for the future, then go for business or something that will
do you good down the road. Better to be a business major with computer
skills than a computer major who can't do anything else.

Matt

Subject: [ale] CS Degree necessary?