[ale] won't boot after move

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Fri Jan 18 09:59:12 EST 2002

I had the exact same problem, but it wasn't after a move.  It had something to do (still not sure of the specifics) with the fact that we were using Samba/LDAP for authentication, and had set up a replication server outside our network, and whenever the internet went down, the system slowed to a crawl, so much so that it was exactly as you describe - I got the login prompt, entered username/passwd, then nothing.  Booting into Linux/Single allowed me to kill LDAP, and problem was gone.

I never was able to get satisfactory resolution (Linx newbie, as well as Samba and LDAP), so killed the LDAP for the time being (getting ready to try again.

For whatever it was worth...

Charles