[ale] CS Degree necessary?

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Thu Jan 17 14:20:48 EST 2002

>  >
>  > Hmmm, just checked this out myself, and I'm off the chart
> (10% over the
>  > 75% ile), in the $$$ direction.  I don't know if I'm
> terribly overpaid
>  > or if this thing is just plain wrong.
>
> The numbers all look a little low to me.  Maybe they are reacting to
> the current job market in which offers are lower.  Or maybe it is run
> by recruiters who want you to be impressed with the salary they find
> for you.

Oh Michael!  You spoiled all of the fun.

I have noticed that the salary offer of a good Unix Sys Admin seems
to be 20-30K lower now, than in the late '99 and early '00.  I think
it is just the economy.  7 years ago, anybody who knows SAS was doing
six figures.  Then, the Java heads and Unix Sys Admin were demanding
the same just a couple of years ago.  When the economy is improving
again, I am not sure which segments of IT will command good salaries
this time.

But then, most of us who work for a start-up are looking for more than
just a salary. ;-)

Bao