[ale] CS Degree necessary?

Chris Farris chrisf at primeharbor.com
Thu Jan 17 12:13:12 EST 2002

My experience was going to school long enough to meet the right people
and do the right things to get enough experience to get a job. I started
at Tech in '93 and didn't get my degree till 2000. In between I've spend
about 3 years working FT. I learned more working FT than I did at Tech
or SPSU.

I would recommend the degree program that will give you the most time
and flexibility in discovering what you want to do, and doing it.
Contribute to an OpenSource project, get involved in campus activities.
Do the non-classwork stuff that will help you get ahead once you do
graduate.

If you plan to go into the business community, take some Management-type
classes, It is very useful to know the CEO/CFO perspective on things. If
you want an academic career take the harder course work, and get
involved w/ research projects. Both the schools I've been to have been
open to undergrads doing research. Sometime I kick myself for not
getting more involved in it.

Eh, enough rambling for now.

Chris

--