[ale] new linux box

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jan 16 07:34:39 EST 2002

I have not been able to do this with my Asus dual PIII board with mixed
cpus. I lost a cpu due to a dead cpu fan. When I replaced it with a
newer version of the same clock speed, it would not work. I got kernel
panic all over. As soon as a process would touch the second (new) cpu,
BOOM. I pulled the old cpu, put the new cpu in the first slot alone, ran
fine. So the cpu was fine. I put the old cpu back in slot 2, crap all
over the place again. Pulled new, put old in slot one alone, ran fine.
Took it back. Found a retail box Intel PIII 550 (great fan!) that was
rather dusty. The codes on the chip were a closer match than the other
one. Works like a charm.

Unfortunately, I have lost the pages of notes I took that included the
chip codes on all the trials.

Soon as the job situation improves, I do plan on getting a pair of PIII
950's as they are now (relatively) cheap and will work well in the 100
MHz bus Asus board. And stuff the box with the max 1G ram. I've been
looking at finite element analysis and it is a real cpu/ram intensive
process. Almost as bad as render IMAX format 1600x1280 video in Blender!

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 00:27, Jeb wrote:
> You don't necessarily have to have the same clock speed, just this is a myth
> (from what I understand, and I have also practice this theory).  Here is a
> good little article about smp (http://2cpu.com/FAQ/2cpusmpfaq.htm)
>
> "There is a myth that in order to run multiple CPU's, they need to be the
> same stepping and cache size. This is not true. According to Intel, you must
> have the same family of processor, and that's it. In fact, according to
> Intel, you can even mix MHz! They say that if you clock the processors to
> the clock speed of the slower CPU, you'll be fine. Mixing cache sizes is
> also OK by Intel, as long as you're not mixing 1MB or higher cache chips.
> You're best off if you have the same speed and cache processors, but if you
> have to try an SMP system you can use whatever is available. "  The last
> paragraph of the article.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 PGP signature