[ale] Home Wiring (was Re: cat5)

Michael Kachline kachline at bass.compgen.com
Mon Jan 14 12:41:28 EST 2002

	Guys,

	Speaking of cat 5 in the home, does anyone have a cat 5 patch
panel for your RJ-11 phones in the home? Currently, I am building a home
and have all phone lines and net lines home run into my basement, all via
their own dedicated cat5 cable. I have read that it is possible to plug a
regular RJ-11 phone into a RJ-45 port and, given that the back-end wiring
is right, have a working phone.
	What I would like to do is wire the house with all RJ-45 ports,
some connecting to the "data" switch, and others connecting to the phone,
and have an easy setup downstairs for "converting" ports from phone to
data without having to cut and strip wires.

Does anyone know of a good patch panel which could be used for the
telephone lines downstairs? Ie, I want to be able to simply re-plumb from
the phone patch panel to the data switch in order to "convert" an RJ-45
port from being a "phone" to a "data" port. I am currently looking at the
various offerings from Pass and Seymour for doing this, though, it looks
like ports are still hard wired into their respective patch panels.

If anyone has any suggestions, could you please post also whereabouts I
could find such items? If not, does anyone know of a local place for
purchasing Cat 5 telephone patch panels?

						Thanks,
							- Mike
 Michael Kachline
 Systems Programmer