[ale] DNS issues

Ken Nagorski kenn at refriedgeek.com
Sun Jan 13 21:36:45 EST 2002

Hmm, that is weird.

Have you tried removing the nameservers systematically and seeing what
works when?

Also post your resolv.conf... Maybe you are missing something there. I
don't know, just throwing out ideas.

Thanks
Ken

 I have an interesting problem with DNS on my home network. Set up is
> Linux box acting as router/gateway to internet through a DSL connection
> with a win 98 machine networked. I am using Roaring Penguin/pppoe to
> connect. On the linux machine I have the three DNS servers listed by IP
> address and then the same three by domain name. When I first connect to
> the internet using the Roaring Penguin 'adsl-start' command I can only
> reach domains from the linux machine. It is not until I ping a few IP
> addresses that the networked machine understand how to find web sites
> and even after that I still have trouble reaching some hosts.
>
> An example would be, I can get to yahoo.com but I can't get to
> resumes.yahoo.com. OR I can get to my own web site if I only type in
> kevinstoll.org but if I try to get to a file it doesn't seem to
> understand how to resolve it. At any rate, what I am trying to say is
> that sometimes the networked machine can resolve a host yet at other
> times it can not. I have not yet determined the pattern by which it
> does this. The only pattern that I have found, although it makes no
> sense, is that if there is anything before or after the root domain, as
> in www.yahoo.com instead of yahoo.com, the networked machine will not
> resolve but even then there are a few instances where that pattern is
> not true.
>
> SIGH........
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>

> Kevin O'Neill Stoll
> http://kevinstoll.org/
> (770) 569-7251

> be  sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

But I don't want to go among mad people,
Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat:
we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat,
or you wouldn't have come here.