[ale] DNS issues

Kevin Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 19:59:03 EST 2002

I have an interesting problem with DNS on my home network. Set up is Linux
box acting as router/gateway to internet through a DSL connection with a win
98 machine networked. I am using Roaring Penguin/pppoe to connect. On the
linux machine I have the three DNS servers listed by IP address and then the
same three by domain name. When I first connect to the internet using the
Roaring Penguin 'adsl-start' command I can only reach domains from the linux
machine. It is not until I ping a few IP addresses that the networked
machine understand how to find web sites and even after that I still have
trouble reaching some hosts.

An example would be, I can get to yahoo.com but I can't get to
resumes.yahoo.com. OR I can get to my own web site if I only type in
kevinstoll.org but if I try to get to a file it doesn't seem to understand
how to resolve it. At any rate, what I am trying to say is that sometimes
the networked machine can resolve a host yet at other times it can not. I
have not yet determined the pattern by which it does this. The only pattern
that I have found, although it makes no sense, is that if there is anything
before or after the root domain, as in www.yahoo.com instead of yahoo.com,
the networked machine will not resolve but even then there are a few
instances where that pattern is not true.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Kevin O'Neill Stoll
http://kevinstoll.org/
(770) 569-7251