[ale] Mind Game for Hackers

Adrin haswes at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 12 02:05:05 EST 2002

Since installing Linux on one of my machines I have been able to log
attacks. And as the hosts.deny file and the iptable DROP grows.  I was
wondering. Does some thing like the user mask on a user change or is the
part static?  I would much rather have a DROP rule for that user than his
dynamic IP.

A lot of the hits that get labeled as attacks appear to be coming from
windows machines or someone thinking mine is a windows machine.  I am
assuming.  Hey I am a newbie.  In the log I get something like:
[11/Jan/2002:22:30:43 -0500] "GET /scripts/root.exe?/c+dir HTTP/1.0" 404 307
"-" "-"

Maybe I will make a directory and a piss off message now. :) There are more.
It looks like an IIS attack to me.

Adrin
http://haswes.home.mindspring.com
mailto://haswes@mindspring.com