[ale] new to IPTABLES

Dean dean777 at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 12 01:41:50 EST 2002

font-family:Arial'>I’m kind of new to IPTABLES.<span
style='mso-spacerun:yes'>  My boss pointed me to a firewall and said fix
it. Well I’m kind of stuck.  The
firewall is constructed on linux 7.1 kernel 2.4.2-2.
It seems like not matter how the simple the rule is that I put in the firewall
script I get no response. The script runs with out errors. I flushed the
firewall before every build and ran the zero function.<span
style='mso-spacerun:yes'>  The best response I get is that if I apply
the rules,

font-family:Arial'>

font-family:Arial'>/sbin/iptables -A INPUT<span
style='mso-spacerun:yes'>   -s 0/0 -p tcp --<span
class=SpellE>dport <font
 size=2 face=Arial>23:23<font
size=2 face=Arial><span
style='mso-spacerun:yes'>     -j DROP

font-family:Arial'>/sbin/iptables -A INPUT<span
style='mso-spacerun:yes'>   -s 0/0 -p tcp
--sport <span
 style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>23:23<font
size=2 face=Arial><span
style='mso-spacerun:yes'>     -j DROP

font-family:Arial'>

style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>the<font
size=2 face=Arial> firewall
will timeout trying to connect, I would expect to get a connection refused
message.  If I remove the rule I get
right in.  I also applied a simple HOST
forwarding rule that should forward the incoming telnet connection to an
internal server.  When I execute this
script I get the same thing…. Timeout while trying to
connect. A can telnet to the server fine from the
internal network.  I’m not
sure what to try next?  Any help is
appreciated.

font-family:Arial'>