[ale] PHP vs. Perl

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Thu Jan 10 14:32:21 EST 2002

This is just from my experience but if you're doing a lot of regular
expressions and string manipulations, perl does a more elegant job at it.
PHP has functions for this but its all built in for perl. Other than that,
I'm not sure there are any real advantages to using one over the other.
Both have extensive libraries of functions/modules, perl's library is
probably a bit larger for more esoteric things but then, PHP is relatively
easy to extend if you absolutely have/want to. Overall I'd say, if perl is
what your familiar with, stick with it. (But then again you can pick up
PHP in about 2 days so...).

Ben

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Mike Millson wrote:

> Is PHP better than perl in any way, or just another alternative scripting
> language? Can anyone out there using PHP convince me to stop using Perl and
> use PHP? If it's just another scripting language, then I'll stick w/ Perl;
> however, if it has some benefits such as scalability as do Java servlets,
> then I'd be interested.
>
> Thank you,
> Mike Millson
> AableTech Solutions, Inc.
> 770.414.8834
> 770.414.8206 fax
> http://www.atsga.com
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

 Most people don't need a great deal of love nearly so much as
they need a steady supply.