[ale] php/mysql install hell

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Jan 7 09:52:40 EST 2002

On 7 Jan 2002, Jim Philips wrote:

> When I install MySQL with rpm, executables are in /usr/bin. The headers
> are in /usr/include/mysql. The data directory is /var/lib/mysql and yet
> other parts are in /usr/share/mysql. When I look at phpinfo() it
> indicates that PHP thinks MySQL is in /usr/local. I don't know if htis
> is significant or not. But any PHP script that calls on the database
> will seg fault. So, configuring --with-mysql=/usr hasn't worked for me
> yet.

Try again.  It's working just fine for me.  From phpinfo() of php-4.1.1
compiled from source against mysql installed via Red Hat's rpms, using
./configure --with-mysql=/usr:

                                 mysql

                MySQL Support                  enabled
           Active Persistent Links 2
                Active Links       2
             Client API version    3.23.41
              MYSQL_MODULE_TYPE    external
                MYSQL_SOCKET       /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
                MYSQL_INCLUDE      -I/usr/include/mysql
                 MYSQL_LIBS        -L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient

My guess is that you've got portions of two different installs of php and /
or mysql around, and php's configure is getting confused....

later,
chris