[ale] setiathome screensaver

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 4 11:38:58 EST 2002

Hi,

I was just wondering how you guys set up your setiathome client
to be a screensaver.  The README.xsetiathome isn't explicit on
how this is done.  What works for me so far is to launch my
screensaver from a script something like this:

########### SNIP ############

#!/bin/sh

#### Set up variables

#command=xscreensaver
#command=xlock
command=xautolock
setidir=$HOME/setiathome

####  Is the locker installed?

if ! [ -x `which $command` ]; then
   echo "$command is not installed!  Better install it."
   exit 1
fi

####  Set up DPMS...

if ! ( `xset q | grep 'DPMS is Enabled'` ); then
   xset dpms 1600 1900
   xset s on
   xset s blank
   xset s 1300
fi

####  Do the locking for $command...

case $command in

  xscreensaver ) if [ `pidof xscreensaver` ]; then
		  xscreensaver-command -lock
		else
		  xscreensaver&
		  xscreensaver-command -lock
		fi
		;;
  xlock )	killall xscreensaver 2>/dev/null
  		killall xautolock    2>/dev/null
		xlock -mode blank
		;;
  xautolock )	if (ps ax|grep setiathome|grep -v grep) && \
  		(ps ax|egrep 'setiathome .* -graphics); then
       		  if (ps ax|egrep 'xautolock -locker .*xsetiathome -fullscreen'); then
       		     xautolock -now
       		  else
       	  	     killall xautolock 2>/dev/null
	  	     xautolock -locker $setidir/setiathome -fullscreen&
	  	     xautolock -locknow
       		  fi
   		else
       	          killall setiathome 2>/dev/null
		  $setidir/setiathome -email -graphics -nice 20&
		  killall xautolock  2>/dev/null
       		  xautolock -locker $setidir/setiathome -fullscreen&
       		  xautolock -locknow
   		fi
		;;
  * )		echo "You need to choose xscreensaver or xlock or xautolock\n"
  		exit 1
esac

########### SNIP ############

The only down side of all this is that since xsetiathome isn't
really a locker, the screen isn't locked as it is with xlock or
something.

Q:  Is this comparable to how you guys run your seti clients?

Q:  Any ideas on how I can lock my screen and still run
xsetiathome as a screensaver?

Q:  Is there a more straightforward way of running setiathome as
a screensaver on a Nix box?

TIA!

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net