[ale] Need help from cammand line and scripting gurus

Mazukna, Thomas Thomas.Mazukna at delta.com
Thu Feb 28 13:16:41 EST 2002

FOUND IT !!!!!

/usr/ucb/ps -auxww

will give full command line on SunOs.

Tomas

-----Original Message-----
From: John Wells [mailto:jbwellsiv at yahoo.com]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 11:33 AM
To: Geoffrey; ale at ale.org
Subject: Re: [ale] Need help from cammand line and scripting gurus

Simply put.  Solaris's proc info support sucks.  I ran
in to this awhile back and put it on the back burner
until I get more time.

It's not a matter of your terminal not displaying 80+
characters.   The problem is that Solaris maintains a
limited amount of information about a process that's
available to the user.  Cd into /proc/<pid> and do a
"strings psinfo" to see the same limited command
string.

I'm no solaris expert, so there may be a way.  I guess
the big question is whether the kernel maintains any
other accessible data structures for the pid.  Someone
please correct me if I'm wrong here, but it would seem
that after the initial execution of the process there
would really be no need to maintain an ascii
representation of the command that spawned it except
for the sole purpose of providing more detail to a
user or another process.

It's problems like this that make me thank God that
there's such a thing called linux ;-)...

John

John