[ale] OT: The Amazing WEB

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 19 12:38:28 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 12:19, Greg wrote:
> 	I saw it also last night. Also mentioned was a merge with Comcast (or has
> it already happened ?) that would only consolidate, enlarge, and help
> legitimize the porn industry.  Larger than the motel distribution is the
> home cable market.
>
> 	<<sigh of disgust>> All of those who have Telocity DSL service should
> remember that they are now DirectTV DSL who is owned by Direct TV and Direct
> TV is also a major porn distributor (DirectTV is owned by GM).  Considering
> that DirectTV DSL is my ISP and I just went out and bought a used GMC I feel
> like retching.  Of course also mentioned was the fact that the Clinton
> Administration disassembled all DOJ efforts (which were major under Reagan)
> to shut down the porn industry.  And that was straight from the Janet Reno
> interview.  Ms. Reno also included I guess those who put out child porn as
> those she chose to ignore in favor of pursuing criminals she deemed "other
> elements with greater priority".  What a wonderful government we have, huh ?

We have to remember that the advent of the World Wide Web gave a bigger
boost to the porn industry than anything else. Al Gore's claims aside,
the Clinton Administration gets no particular blame or credit in that
area. We all know how the Internet blurs any idea of community
standards. In which community does the event take place? That's why
there is still no credible taxation plan for purchases made over the
Internet. At any rate, a change in the attitudes of prosecutors may
bring a lot more porn peddlars into court, but it's going to be a lot
harder to convict than it was in the days of Bush and Reagan. The
Internet makes all of the legal questions a lot thornier.