[ale] petition

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at dvsg.sciatl.com
Fri Feb 15 10:13:52 EST 2002

Benjamin Dixon wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > You are just plain wrong.  They have broken the law, therefore different
> > rules apply.  They have destroyed companies, and along with them peoples
> > livelyhoods.  It would be different if they were just very good at
> > software design, but they are not.  They have destroyed the OS market
> > with there illegal dealings.  Just as a convicted felon loses some
> > rights, so must Microsoft.
>
> How have they destroyed companies any differently then all the other
> companies out there would like to see their competition annihilated? Lest
> we forget, most people are not in business to make great products, they
> are in business to make money. Besides, some would argue that MS
> *created*, not destroyed, the consumer OS market (ie. desktops) Whether
> they are good at software design is totally irrelevant in the most obvious
> way, they are the market leader. I'm not even sure convicted felons are
> forced to give up their intellectual property rights. Granted, a
> mega-monopoly is distinct from a felon by definition anyway.
>
> > Ultimately its the
> > > people who continue to buy into their monopoly that are causing the
> > > problem.
> >
> > That's easily said, but the fact that they are so imbedded makes it
> > impossible.  More companies would go out of business if they just flat
> > out quit using M$ products.  Customers would complain, there would be a
> > huge cost in converting existing M$ formatted files to some other format.
>
> Customers would complain? Oh my! You mean this is a consumer-driven
> market? Shame on Microsoft! I agree there is a huge cost in converting all
> those damn Word documents and Excel spreadsheets to some reasonable open
> format. Blame management for those decisions, not MS.
>

> > If you're worried about nefarious things going on inside the code
> > > that you don't know about, which is undoubtably the case, don't buy their
> > > products for linux, windows, or any other operating system.
> >
> > Some folks don't have a choice.  And I, will not deny my 10 year
> > daughter the opportunity to play games that are only windows based.
>
> Not denying your daughter the "opportunity to play games that are only
> windows based" is indeed a choice you make. The problem is, its a choice
> people are willing to make to support MS.
>
> I guess the point is, yes MS has achieved monopoly status, which is pretty
> much the victory condition for the game. Because of that, they're gonna be
> penalized, apparently to the point of opening up their products to outside
> review. Surely this is great for the competition, you get the government
> to take apart your primary competitor for you. The thing linux and all of
> open source has going for it is that MS can't buy it up like they do
> everything else and this is why they're threatened by it. It would be a
> far greater victory for the open source movement if instead of taking what
> the government can get out of MS, we leveraged this advantage.

MS developed a monopoly, which is legal.  However, they then used that monopoly
power
to further their monopoly, which is illegal.  They were convicted of that, and
they need to be punished.  MS violated the previous limits they had agreed to
observe under the settlement in the 90's.  MS need to be hammered so that it
will not violate the current settlement, and so that it does indeed suffer for
its illegal actions.  Anything else is a slap on the wrist.

> > It's not black and white.
>
> Which is unfortunate. But MS seems to realize that their strategy is not
> going to work too much longer. They still have a tight grip on the desktop
> market but it seems the growth potential of that market is capped. How
> much stuff can you possibly add to an OS before you can't add enough major
> features that its marketable as different from your previous release?

XP is proof that MS wants to be able to force upgrades for any reason - since
they are claiming that the end-user has only licensed the product, they can
charge a yearly renewal without changing the product at all.

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
    posting from, but not     |

- - - - - - - Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc. - - - - - - -
mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language: