[ale] Create custom log

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 14 14:40:32 EST 2002

Steve,

On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 12:29, sangell at nan.net wrote:
> I tried this one a day or two ago and got no replies so I'll try another
> method. Can/How do I create a means of logging file access? I am needing to
> monitor access to directories in /home. I need a means of knowing when
> files placed on a server have been picked up so that they can be deleted by
> an automated process. Why do I not let the user delete the files? Because I
> have to have a way of showing that the file was placed on the server, was
> picked up, and then deleted a short time later. Otherwise client can lose
> file and blame me for it "never being placed on server to be picked up". I
> would like to log ftp transactions but have exhausted all efforts to find a
> solution to do that since I am using F-Secure and sftp. Any help? Anybody?
> You guys are awake right? (Please keep in mind programming is not my
> forte'!)

Danny

	When we needed to do someting similar to this, we hacked the ftp server
to 1) log differently, and 2) move the file to a different directory
(typically called .sent).  This made it easy to reset (cd .sent; mv file
..), and no dups.

	We used ftp, but our files were PGP encrypted anyway, so we weren't
concerned about that security aspect.  I'd imagine that sftp would be as
easy to hack as wu-ftpd was (famous last words).

Danny