[ale] Continued-> missing dependencies under Redhat.........

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Feb 11 12:24:43 EST 2002

There is no super-fantastic way to do this with out accessing some
outside resources.

If you install the redhat-rpm-database, it has the rpm list for
everything from the distribution you are using, and install rpmfind,
then the gnorpm will allow a (sort-of) painless way to get what you
need.

Red-carpet from ximian will do a reasonable job of pulling in required
packages from the gnome stuff you need and often it works for the base
redhat stuff as well.

An alternative is to do an upgrade installation with the redhat CD. This
will pull in any needed lib from the CD for any new app. It will mess up
your custom crafted kernel with the default kernel.rpm, though. Plus you
will have to reboot the system.

If you need the name of all the packages (rpms) that a new rpm depends
on, run " rpm -qp -R package.rpm". The output will be the package name
and version numbers.