[ale] Dynamic DNS with DHCP?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Sat Feb 9 13:40:28 EST 2002

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 11:37:11AM -0500, Bob Kruger wrote:

> All;

> I've seen (but can not locate this morning) a HOWTO on setting up the
> DNS server to be able to dynamically update machines coming and going
> off of a network that assignes IP address via DHCP.

> Has anyone here done this, or can anyone here point me in the right
> direction?

	I've done this just based on the information in the Bind (9.2.x)
and ISC DHCP packages.  Basically get Bind working with dynamic DNS
per the Bind Administrators Guide and verify it using nsupdate.  Once
you have that working, then follow the instructions with the DHCP
package to install the TSIG key from Bind to DHCP and set it up to
update the dns zones.  It's really not very difficult to do at all.

	Gotchas:

	If Bind and dhcpd are on different systems those systems have to
be tightly time synced (less than 1 minute differential) or the TSIG keys
will NOT work.

	You can NOT mix static and dynamic zones.  If you are going to
update a zone (forward and/or reverse) dynamically, you can not go back
and edit that zone by hand or the zone journal files will fail and Bind
will refuse to load the zone.  My only workaround for that has been to
create a dynamic subdomain and use CNAME records out of the static zone.
That won't work in cases where you don't know the names in advance, though.

> Regards - Bob Kruger

> ---
>
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

	Mike