[ale] linux router questions

sangell at nan.net sangell at nan.net
Thu Feb 7 10:57:05 EST 2002

Before I start, I know there are some who will say "Why would he want to do
that?" Trust me there is a reason. I am going to be setting up a route for
our corporate office to come into our LAN and pass back out a clients
router to their network. The traffic will be minimal but the problem is the
client only allows a specific range of addresses thru to their network. So
I am going to pass the traffic thru a linux router and NAT the address so
it passes thru clients router as a single IP.  I will attach an image to
show the quick way I set this up but I am wanting to know if I can set up a
box with four (4) NICs and accomplish the same thing? All of this is
firewalled at the linux routers and the client does know I am doing this.
Like I said it is a quick fix. If the clients router had a different IP
than that of our local lan I could do this with one box easily but since it
is one of our own IP's I have to go a round about way of masqarading the
ips

An example:

Corporate has a router that comes into our lan with an address of
192.168.168.1 mask 255.255.252.0
Clients router has interface of                         192.168.171.75 mask
255.255.252.0
they only allow 192.168.171.76-160 to pass thru currentl and will allow
more if I want to wait 2 months.

So I set up two linux boxes to route and NAT the traffic to hide the
disallowed IP. By creatng a  subnet of 192.168.200.x mask 255.255.255.0
created appropriate route tables on everything and tested it out. Works
like a charm. I do not however want to keep two stations and am looking to
trim it down to one station. It may be so simple that I just overlooked the
obvious. Thats why I am here.

Works great as a two station setup. Will it work to load 4 nics in one box
and route all the traffic internally? Is there a way to create a virtual
lan and only use 2 NICs?

\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
\_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/