[ale] very easy question

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Feb 6 07:39:42 EST 2002

If you're trying to do voice modem stuff, the sound format from the
modem is not a .wav. Its rmd. There are tools that install with vgetty
that support that stuff. to get it to a .wav, you need to :

rmdtopvf -s 8000 soundfile.rmd | pvftowav > outfile.wav

The voice modem tools for manipulating the sound are:

/usr/bin/autopvf     /usr/bin/pvffft      /usr/bin/pvfsine
/usr/bin/pvftovoc
/usr/bin/basictopvf  /usr/bin/pvffile     /usr/bin/pvfspeed
/usr/bin/pvftowav
/usr/bin/lintopvf    /usr/bin/pvffilter   /usr/bin/pvftoau
/usr/bin/rmdtopvf
/usr/bin/pvfamp      /usr/bin/pvfmix      /usr/bin/pvftobasic
/usr/bin/voctopvf
/usr/bin/pvfcut      /usr/bin/pvfnoise    /usr/bin/pvftolin
/usr/bin/wavtopvf
/usr/bin/pvfecho     /usr/bin/pvfreverse  /usr/bin/pvftormd
/usr/bin/pvftormd  /usr/bin/rmdfile  /usr/bin/rmdtopvf

The directions are _minimal_ :(. They have a -h option that will show a
brief breakdown of the syntax. (If you compile it yourself, these tools
will be in /usr/local/bin. RedHat rpm's drop everything in /usr/bin )

The realplayer is the realaudio/realvideo player. It taks some digging,
but you're looking for the older version for unix platforms. They have a
rpm format that will set itself as the default player for .wav files.

A pretty good sound recorder I found is SoundStudio for Linux. It should
show up on freshmeat. I think that's where I found it. Gnome sound
recorder also works OK. It doesn't have the tweaking effects that
ecasound and SoundStudio have.