[ale] Linux patchs - help please

Reddy Karri reddy_k_s at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 31 14:04:28 EST 2002

Hi,

I have Oracle 8.1.7 running on
Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness)
Kernel 2.2.16-22smp on an i686.

I need help with these 3 tasks:
Task 1. Change server name (IP address remains the
same).
I am looking for info. on how to change server name.
Does server name change effect Oracle functionality?
If yes, what do I have to do to correct it.

For below mentioned services I was told "Port is open"
I want to know how to close ports.
Just in case I close a wrong port or a required port
I also want to know how to open a closed port.

 general/tcp
 ssh (22/tcp)
 telnet (23/tcp)
 smtp (25/tcp)
 finger (79/tcp)
 sunrpc (111/tcp)
 auth (113/tcp)
 login (513/tcp)
 shell (514/tcp)
 printer (515/tcp)
 submission (587/tcp)
 unknown (1521/tcp)
 unknown (1024/tcp)
 unknown (1025/udp)
 unknown (1024/udp)
 sunrpc (111/udp)
 ftp (21/tcp)

Task 3. Apply patches (security patches).
Where can I get OS patches ?
Where can I get instructions on how to apply patches ?

If I run into problems is there a forum or website for
help.

Some of the reasons for upgrade.

Service : ssh (22/tcp)
You are running a version of OpenSSH older than
OpenSSH 3.2.1

A buffer overflow exists in the daemon if AFS is
enabled on
your system, or if the options KerberosTgtPassing or
AFSTokenPassing are enabled. Even in this scenario,
the
vulnerability may be avoided by enabling
UsePrivilegeSeparation.

Versions prior to 2.9.9 are vulnerable to a remote
root
exploit. Versions prior to 3.2.1 are vulnerable to a
local
root exploit.

Solution :
Upgrade to the latest version of OpenSSH

Risk factor : High
CVE : CAN-2002-0575

Service : submission (587/tcp)
The remote sendmail server, according to its version
number,
may be vulnerable to the -bt overflow attack which
allows any local user to execute arbitrary commands as
root.

Solution : upgrade to the latest version of Sendmail
Risk factor : High
Note : This vulnerability is _local_ only

This list goes on .......

Thanks
Reddy