[ale] divergent issue related to lspci, was: Re:interrupts inlinux??

Matty matty91 at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 29 09:32:11 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 01:30, Hugh Esco wrote:
> As for the IRQ issue mentioned below, I read something pertinent on that
> subject just this afternoon, I'm pretty sure in the man page for
> setserial.  It specifically listed several IRQs to avoid using as they were
> reserved for other purposes.
>
> But that research eventually led me to a different issue altogether related
> to the use of lspci.
>
> A client's machine was very much less very verbose when I invoked lspci
> than was the working installation on our application server.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=pci&searchmode=searchfiles&case=insensitive&version=stable&arch=i386
>
> went straight from the /lib directory to the /sbin directory on page seven,
> completely skipping over the /proc directory.

The /proc file system is really a facade. It simply provides an
interface into various kernel data structures. If the kernel finds your
device, the pertinent data would be available within the /proc tree.
Linux goes out of the way to provide simple interfaces to everything :)

> What routine would build /proc/bus at start-up?
>
> -- Hugh
>
> <client>: /proc/bus# ls -al
> total 0
> dr-xr-xr-x      2  root root            0  Dec 28 22:56 .
> dr-xr-xr-x      22 root root            0  Dec 28 20:17 ..
> <client>: /proc/bus# lspci -vvx
> pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
> lspci: Cannot find any working access method.
> <client>: /proc/bus#
>

> At 11:28 PM 12/28/02 -0500, you wrote:
> >Message: 4
> >Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 22:47:40 -0500
> >From: Christopher Bergeron <christopher at bergeron.com>
> >To:  ale at ale.org
> >Subject: Re: [ale] interrupts in linux??
> >
> >So then, in theory, I should be able to assign any IRQ that isn't being
> >used (like my floppy ide channel for example), and assign it to one of
> >these devices?
> >
> >Thanks more..
> >-CB
>
> #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> |       Hugh Esco, Computer Services
> |       Consulting, Training, Application Development
> |       706-896-6941 * escocs at alltel.net
> |       1426 Abe Cove Road; Hiawassee GA 30546
> |       Affordable Computing Can Be Yours  .  .  .
> |       with recycled equipment and open source software!
Ryan Matteson - UNIX Administrator
GPG ID: 1B52A210 2002-12-01 Ryan Matteson (Primary Key Pair)
<matty91 at bellsouth.net>
Public Key: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.asc
Detached Digital Signature: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.sig.asc
Fingerprint = A0B1 298E 29C4 3F26 01D5  EDFC 3D62 281F 1B52 A210