[ale] need some input on tv capture cards

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Dec 26 21:02:35 EST 2002

John Wells wrote:
> Hmmm...
>
> At least when it comes to the ATI, the user manual says you can choose
> from 4 presets when viewing (page 21 in
> http://mirror.ati.com/support/manualpdf/WonderVE.pdf):
>
> 180x120
> 240x180
> 320x240
> 640x480
>
> Now, does this mean it will take a lesser resolution and "stretch",
> resulting in poorer picture quality?  I'm a newbie when it comes to this
> ;-).

I don't have the ATI card, but two wintv cards.  Both are just as sharp
at 640x480 as they are at any other resolution.

Both the older bt848 and the later bt878 chipsets support 640x480.  I've
got two cards that have the bt878 chipset and a capture only card that
has the bt848.  All will do 640x480.

Also, under Linux, I can resize the window to infinite sizes, up to the
maximum, simply using the normal X resize handles.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...