[ale] need some input on tv capture cards

Matty matty91 at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 26 15:16:12 EST 2002

John Wells wrote:
> My plan is to setup a PVR system using x10's entertainment anywhere and a
> tv capture card.  The x10 package will allow me to transmit the signal
> from my machine upstairs to the television down.  I'll also likely use the
> card to watch a game or two while hacking ;-).
>
> It just occurred to me after James' post to check stereo sound.  Neither
> card has it.  I may hold off and try to find one that does.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
>
> Calvin Harrigan said:
>
>>On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 14:41, John Wells wrote:
>>
>>>Have a gift certificate from Circuit City, and want to pick up a tv
>>>capture card tonight.  Their site lists two available:
>>>
>>>ATI Tech Wonder VE TV Card
>>>Brand/Model: ATE 100703102CCS
>>>$49.99
>>>
>>>Hauppauge PCI Card "WinTV Go"
>>>Brand/Model: HAU 190
>>>$49.99
>>>
>>>Anyone have experience with these?  Linux friendly?  Which would you
>>>recommend?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>John

>>They both work. Both use the bt878 chipset.
>>I lean towards the Hauppauge cards though...
>>
>>If you don't mind me asking what do you plan on doing with it?
>>Just to watch tv, video cap, etc.

This would be a cool setup with two LCD panels. When prices drop
a bit more, I am going to get a pair of 19 - 21" LCDs. That way I
can watch movies/tv on one, and muck around on the other. I wish
the major manufacturers would hurry up and finish their production
facilities. Once production aligns with demand, prices should drop (Or
at least I am hoping they will).