[ale] rather off topic (tools for mp3's)

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Wed Dec 25 10:37:55 EST 2002

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 09:29:56AM -0500 Chuck Huber <chuck at cehuber.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 08:35:05PM -0800, Stephen Turner wrote:
> > hey anyone found any renameing tools for mp3's? what im looking for is
> > something that uses that cddb data base online (winamp uses it) to rename
> > all my mp3's so i can figure out if i got dupes.... of course if theres a
> > dupe finder that will be just as useful ;) does it exist?
>
> You can probably use mp3info and sed to come up with a shell script
> full of mv's.

There is a tool named mp3rename.  It's part of the FreeBSD ports system,
but I don't see a homepage for it.  The author is
Sander Janssen <janssen at rendo.dekooi.nl>.  I suppose you could google
for either the author or the program name.

There's also something called mp3tag.  There's also id3convert, id3cp,
id3ed, id3info, id3ren, and id3tag.  These latter tools seem to work
with v1 and v2 tag info.

A lot of this stuff I don't have urls for.  Perhaps some of these
proggies don't have havepages.  But who knows what you might find on a
search.

mp3rename	Sander Janssen <janssen at rendo.dekooi.nl>
mp3tag 		http://www.cs.auc.dk/~larsch/ruby/mp3tag.html
		Lars Christensen <larsch at cs.auc.dk>
id3convert	No manpage, no info.  Sorry.
id3cp		Copies tags from one file to another.  No contact info.
id3ed		Matt Mueller <donut at azstarnet.com>
id3info		Written by Scott Thomas Haug
id3ren		http://tscnet.com/pages/badcrc/apps/id3ren/
id3tag		Robert Alto (badcrc at tscnet.com)

id3lib		WWW: http://id3lib.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps.  I installed a bunch of this from freebsd packages and
so I don't have the source files to look up contact into in.  Lots of
this doesn't have man pages either.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net