[ale] Any grub experts out?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Dec 22 22:59:47 EST 2002

So what happens if you use:

title  Linux Newest Kernel
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1

The root=/dev/hdb1 seems that it should be sda1 instead. Since the raid
device is on the second controller

Grub doesn't care beans about the disk size. The boot loader loaction
should be set in the scsi bios. Once that is set, grub will happily park
there and point to other locations to actually start from.

You should try the grub "find FILENAME" command and look for the
/boot/grub/stage1 file. That will exactly locate your device name.

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 20:33, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>   I'm playing with grub and converting my machines from lilo.  This is a
> precursor to a prodject at work so I figured I'd mess up my home
> machines first.  At any rate I found a problem on one of my machines I
> know would bite me at work as well.
>
> Linux is the only OS, the kernel is /boot/vmlinuz on /dev/sda1
>
> The machine has 2 SCSI controllers, an onboard Adaptec which has my
> CDRom and a PCI IBM MegaRAID.  Both drivers are compiled into the kernel
> and will boot just fine with a standard lilo.
>
> Grub though doesn't seem to like the fact that my boot device is on the
> MegaRAID which it detects as my second SCSI Controler.
>
> I tried to use a setup like:
> -------------menu.lst------------------
> # Sample boot menu configuration file
> #
>
> # Boot automatically after 30 secs.
> timeout 30
>
> # By default, boot the first entry.
> default 0
>
> # Fallback to the second entry.
> fallback 1
>
> # For booting Linux
> title  Linux Newest Kernel
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
> -------------menu.lst------------------
>
> I load grub and execute:
>
> root (hd0,0)
> find /boot/grub/stage1
> setup (hd0)
>
> and all looks good but when I boot it reports an Error 18 which is
> "Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS"  The root disk is
> an 18Gig hardware mirrored file system.  Other than repartitioning and
> making /boot a small filesystem, any suggestions?
>
> Robert
>

> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: FC96D405
>
> DISCLAIMER:
> FYI:
>  perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'

 This is a digitally signed message part