[ale] Weird DSL problem...

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Dec 21 21:25:57 EST 2002

I work part-time for a company in Vegas and do a lot of work ssh'ed into
their Linux server.  The server is colloc'ed (through Remarkable Hosting,
iirc).

The odd thing is, for some reason, connecting to their box almost always
causes my DSL connection to go down or reset.  It may not happen
immediately, but invariably it happens, usually within 30 seconds but
sometimes I'll get 5-10 minutes before it goes down.  My DSL (through
Bellsouth) doesn't exhibit this behavior at all, *unless* I'm connected to
their box.  It's too repeatable to be a coincidence.

This is infuriating, as each time it happens my ssh's lock and I have to
wait for the connection to come back up, re-ssh and then try to repeat
whatever I was doing.

1.  Does anyone have *any* idea what might be happening here, or know what
I might do to investigate?

2.  Is there any software out there that I could take advantage of that
would allow my shell to continue to exist if my connection goes down?
i.e., I could "reattach" to the shell after logging back in through ssh?

Thanks guys.

John