[ale] USB 2 RJ-45 adapter

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Fri Dec 20 13:16:49 EST 2002

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 06:40:25PM +0000 cfowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> Will not work.
>
> This type of modem requires a direct plug into a PC.

Why?

An adapter that connects to a PC USB port can translate to an RJ-45
socket back and forth.  Is it a power problem (adapter gets power from
the PC/notebook USB port)?  Can't the adapter get power from the DSL
modem as well?

> I doubt there is a
> router that can be purchased that will accept this kind of input?

He already has a wireless base station, and he doesn't want to run out
and buy another.  (Said device already cost about $170 or so.)  I asked
if he had an old PC or notebook that I could configure to do the job for
him (maybe he could get his money back for the base station), but he
didn't have any such.

All I can think is that he should get another DSL modem from somewhere.
It seems like you could configure them to be compatible even with Bell
South, since even DSL modems have embedded webservers nowadays.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net