[ale] cpu underclocking

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Wed Dec 18 19:16:12 EST 2002

Hahah, reminds me of a quick story of stupidity from my own past..

I've _always_ taken things apart..  since I was really young.  When I was about 13 or so I got into building and fixing pc's, and by 16 I was doing all sorts of crazy stuff....

So, I was attempting to change a noisy fan in a power supply one time, and god only knows why but I still had it plugged in to wall power as I'm pulling leads off the switch.  (old, AT style minitower).  So, I'm very carefully removing the thing, with the supply in one hand and the switch leads in the other and I dropped something.. Quick non thinking reaction was to drop what I had in the left hand and try to catch what was falling off the desk..  Unfortunately, what was in my right hand was the switchleads, and when gravity took over they contacted the metal (read grounded) case of the supply.. which was still plugged in, as I said before.  Blue sparks, quick whiff of ozone, and silence.  Scared the be-jeezes out of me, and blew power to most of the second story of the house. (thank god for breakers..) thankfully all it hurt was my pride but, I was always really careful after that.

Buy me a beer sometime and I'll tell you about fixing monitors in a very low humidity shop in the winter..  Ouch, talk about aversion therapy.

-G