[ale] cpu underclocking (silent pc in the makeing)

Stephen Turner artic_knight at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 17:28:21 EST 2002

> If we are thinking of the same example, it was a letter in the December,
> 2002 _Linux_Journal_, page 6, "Quiet Linux Box". Indeed it looks like a
> good way to make a server of modest throughput. I did notice one thing
> different than what you seem to have understood (in your earlier note):
> underclocking reduces the processor throughput, it does not increase it.
> She (the writer) also slowed the video activity and eliminated that
> dedicated fan.

yes we are thinking along the same lines :) altho im not sure if we have
the same issue, the article i spoke of was a lady commenting about a
previous article in the recent jurnal, in any case i looked at my email
you commented on, i didnt (as usual) type very clearly, i need to work on
that :-p i changed mobo's and cpus from a 500 mhz k6-2 to a 1.4 ghz t-bird
the k6 was not very noisy, the t-bird, well, i can hear it in the room
next door if the doors are open :-p it isnt fun. im wanting to unlock the
cpu and reduce it enough to quiet the pc, then depending on how fast it is
after the change, i may keep it as a desk top or i may make it a deticated
server, im thinking the later. my friends laughed at me (hes an
overclocker) for wanting to do this but then, i kinda like to listen to
the tv while the computers on, gotta get my daily dose of tech tv :-p i
was hopeing to find a walk through considering this will be my first time
altering a computers guts, sure ive installed ram, hard disks, and mobos
but altering a cpu speed is a bit different :-p ive found a few groups and
such on it but does anyone know of a good walk through? better yet if
someone has allready done it that would be nice too ;)