[ale] cpu underclocking (silent pc in the makeing)

Stephen Turner artic_knight at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 14:13:08 EST 2002

actually im googling as i speek for information on this fun stuff, seems
an interesting question is floating around the internet, if you take a 300
wat ps and run it in a pc that only requires 75 wat max and take the fan
out of this ps, will it die? some suggest it might be possible to get a
few good years out of it. im also looking for information on underclocking
cpu's i hear people under clock the mhz and voltage my question is, is
there some relation that ties the reduction in voltage to the reduction in
mhz? will it become unstable if you only remove voltage? i have no over
clocking experience, i barely painted my case for a mod, so im new to this
but i would seriously like to make a silent pc. i believe this would be a
good learning experience and also make very usful tools :) like quiet
tivos and such ;) can anyone verify if you can take a 300 wat ps and use
it in a 75 wat environment without a fan? and how do you know how many
watts your system needs?