[ale] OT: DIRECTV DSL R.I.P.

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Wed Dec 18 11:06:06 EST 2002

ALErs -

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Fulton Green wrote:

> Umm, actually, Telocity/DIRECTV DSL assigned client IPs through DHCP as
> well.  But since the assignments rarely, if ever, changed, you could have
> considered your IP address to be static.

Well, 'yes' and 'no'. Telocity assigned my modem ("gateway") a dynamic IP
in their network by DHCP, then resolved my static IP to that - somewhere.
I put my _static_ IP into my router, and accessed the router externally by
that IP. The only way in which Telocity's DHCP affected me is at those
moments when the modem and network lost touch with each other. The modem
then obtained a new IP (functionally, at least) when I restarted it.

 - John Mills