[ale] SAMBA problem solved! New problem . . .

Greg runman at telocity.com
Sun Dec 15 13:16:55 EST 2002

	I use 65 as the OS level on my SAMBA server, which is also set up as a PDC.
Yes, there is a "browser election" for a "master server" on MS networks and
unless you "force" this it happens either on a schedule or not at all.  All
MS OS's are arbitrarily assigned a value.  From lowest to highest it follows
some thing like Windows 98, Windows NT (or Win 2000 Pro), then Windows
Server products.

	I have never seen the problems you alluded to in #3 - either on a mixed
system or on a windows system.  If not scheduled, then you have to "force"
or actively look for other connections, otherwise you are the mercy of
whenever a PC "announces" itself to the network.  I mean, how do you think
one PC "finds" another without either the other PC announcing itself or the
client PC pinging or requesting from the server PC?  Needless to say, much
traffic can be generated by these "announcements" or browser elections on a
windows system.  Just hook up ethereal and see it in all its M$ glory.

I am running a mixed (Win98 / Win 2000 Pro / OpenBSD / Linux) network w/ a
SAMBA server and the order doesn't matter - & and I don't have any problems.
When you set up shares on a MS system, however, you need to tell it to
reconnect those shares at start-up or it will leave them unconnected.

Greg Canter