[ale] OT: camcorder/camera combos

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Wed Dec 11 07:37:56 EST 2002

On Thursday 12 December 2002 02:15 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Are you on crack?  Hi8 is purely analog.  miniDV is purely digital.
>
> Ah, not exactly true.  My camera Sony trv730 is a digital camera but
> will accept either hi8 or standard 8 tapes.  With standard 8 tapes, you
> get analog recording.

There's a whole lotta crack smokin' tonight.

I have a TRV330 and 530 myself.  Read your manual again.  While these cameras
may use either tape medium, the recording is in Digital8 format.  All of
these cameras (AFAIK) only PLAY the standard 8mm and Hi8 analog formats --
they do not record in those formats.

(Manual says that if you record on standard 8mm, you must play back in same
machine or you will get mosaic artifacting -- the fact that it's a mosaic
pattern alone tells you it's gonna record in digital mode!  The cheaper
standard 8mm tape doesn't have the resolution that Digital8 requires.)

http://www.epinions.com/content_27278413444

And even if it did, the fact that your camera would record analog on a
standard 8 tape doesn't disprove my original statement.  It only would mean
that your camera supports multiple formats.

-E.