[ale] Linux Fights Back in India

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Wed Dec 11 16:48:36 EST 2002

Bob, ALErs -

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Bob Toxen wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 02:56:47PM -0500, Matty wrote:
> > I believe more exploits have been published for Linux than
> > MS this year. I am not pro MS, but a lot of analysts use
> > this type of information incorrectly :(

> If you are going to mention this sort of FUD, it is *really* important
> to explain why it is not a statement about security...

I certainly agree with that.

I saw this squib in _eWeek_ (e-commerce tabloid), with the lead sentence
comparing the count of published exploits, no mention of severity or
remediation response. I believe there were some contextual/perspective
comments in the second paragraph.

I would have posted a link, but I couldn't find the note on _eWeek_'s web
site (http://www.eweek.com). I saw it in the print version one or two
issues back.

I find that _eWeek_ is generally quick and usually fair to praise Linux
(as well as clear about perceived vs. functional problems to its further
acceptance), and not hesitant in the slightest to report negative items
and editorial opions regarding Microsoft, one of their heavier
advertisers.

 - John Mills