[ale] Regarding replies to the list...

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Dec 9 23:05:18 EST 2002

On Monday 09 December 2002 10:21, Geoffrey wrote:
> Currently there is no way to send email to the original poster without
> explicitly typing their email addr into the window.  That to me sucks.

That does sound awkard... but the complaint you express isn't being
reproduced here with Kmail as the client (v1.3.1).

(Which additionally allows the user right click on any address displayed
in the message window and choose to "Send to..." "Send reply to..." or "
Forward to...." that address.)

> [snip]
> 2nd, is selecting reply would reply to the list, selecting reply-all
> would send email to the list and the poster.  I would prefer this much
> over the current situation referenced above.
>[snip]

I think this is exactly how the current settings are already working.
It is at least how they're working with Kmail:
REPLY addresses TO:  [Reply_To address]
    [Reply_To address]
+ [From address (poster)]
+ [CC addresses]

My recollection from when I followed similar group lists with Pine as my
client is that the Reply / Reply All behaved about the same way.

> I'm leaning toward #2.

Which, according to several responses that hit the list since completing
of this note was postponed, seems to be the way it is currently set up
and functioning with most mail clients.

It may not be consensus or even democracy, but most of the replies from
those who responded seem to suggest we leave it as is and help the few
that have annoyances posting to authors privately with their mailer find
a work around.

peace
aaron

note.ps {