[ale] Regarding replies to the list...

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 9 10:59:21 EST 2002

On Monday 09 December 2002 10:34 am, Pete Hardie wrote:
> Me, too.  Nearly all email tools have a Reply-All option that will send
> to all addressees, so either 2 or 3 is useful, and as someone else has
> said, by defaulting to the alie, the posts get archived, so a solution to
> a common problem can be saved.

Okay, I admit it; sometimes I am clueless.

But I was taught way back in the dark ages to treat the "Reply To"
button on e-mail software with the greatest of caution.

To send this message to the list I hit the "Reply" button. But
I also see this data at the top of every message:

> Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 10:34:13 -0500
> From: Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at sciatl.com>  (Scientific-Atlanta)
> To: ale at ale.org
> Reply to: ale at ale.org

If I had wanted to send this reply directly to Pete and bypass the
List, I would have clicked on his address <pete.hardie at sciatl.com>
and that would have opened a "New Message" window with his address in
the To: field.  I believe nearly all e-mail software works this way
today.  (Certainly KMail isn't considered "cutting edge!" <grin>)

I understand that in the business world it is sometimes necessary
to keep intact a lengthy exchange of e-mail. I certainly do so when
negotiating a contract. This does lead to lots of > > > > > stacking
up as previous text is copied and re-copied _ad Nauseum._ But for
non-business uses I admit to getting irked by those who habitually
hit the "Reply" button and copy a lengthy exchange only to add a
one or two line comment.

Perhaps a commitment to pause and reflect _before_ hitting the
"Reply" button would solve most of this problem on this List.

But, then again, I might well be wrong. And YMMV

Sean