[ale] Regarding replies to the list...

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 8 14:19:30 EST 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:28:21AM -0500, aaron wrote:
> On Sunday 08 December 2002 08:49, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Chris Farris wrote:
> > > Which way do we want it? (I don't recall what it was on the old box)

Well, I've only been subscribed to the list for a few weeks now, I'm
mostly a lurker, and I've never been to an ALE meeting.  But, for what
it's worth, here's my opinion: I like the current setup.  I think Aaron
summed it up nicely, but I'll add my 2 cents below.

> > Historically, responding to a list post goes to the poster...
>
> ...which at least was the way the ALE list server operated before the
> recent move...
>
> > ...and I'd like to retain that approach as it is consistent with other
> > lists.

In my experience, it's about half and half.  For example, the J-Pilot
list and most sourceforge lists have the Reply-To set to the list.  The
plucker and pilot-link lists do not.

[snip]

> > The thing that I find most painful at this time is even if I select
> > 'reply to all'  the only email addr that shows up is the list addr.
> > This is because the reply-to is set to the list as well.
>
> Hmmm.  When I hit "Reply All" in KMail it is addressing the reply to both
> the List and the Sender. "Reply" is addressing it to the List address in
> "Reply To"  which is the way all my other Lists set the header.

Hitting "group reply" in mutt replies to everyone in the "To:" and "Cc:"
headers, but not the "From:" header, which is less than ideal.  But I
almost never want to group reply, so it doesn't bother me.  Your
mileage, of course, may vary.

> For me the previous ALE list server setup was the painful one and
> initiated frequent forhead slaps and cries of "DOH" when I would send a
> message to FROM that I meant to be posting publically. Sending to (or
> receiving from) both the List and the Author seems redundant to me and I
> try to avoid doing that.

Exactly.

> > I've never seen a list configured in this way..
>
> ...and I've only rarely ever seen it any other way.
> Does this make it 6 of one or a half dozen of the other?? :-)

Yes, I think it is 6 of one or a half dozen of the other.  I've seen and
used lists of both kinds, but as I said above, I prefer the current
setup.

Best Regards,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9