[ale] Another Reason to use OSS in Government

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Fri Dec 6 13:28:28 EST 2002

I've wondered about this sort of thing. In fact, as long ago as 1993, I
encountered a situation professionally where a Government contractor was
in a position to keep tabs on their Federal overseers through software
they had written.

Because of the closed-source, "black-box" nature of the software, part
of the nefariousness of the whole situation was the absence of a good
way to detect *if* something untoward were going on or exactly *who* was
responsible for it, and no good way to defend against it.

I realize that the use of Open Source does not *guarantee* the absence
of backdooring and other nastiness, but with closed-source, you just
never know.  This is why, in this day and age, I'd only recommend (wink
to Jim Kinney) Fully Auditable Code.

- Jeff