[ale] EVMS + software RAID??

trey tdarley at aiscomputers.com
Thu Dec 5 14:56:38 EST 2002

Has anyone had any experience with this combo? I know that I did a
similar thing a year or two ago with a Solaris 8 system using their
Disksuite. It was like, create stripes, then create metadevices, then
create cats?? Something like that. I guess the long and short of it is
that I want to mirror two 120gig drives. Partition table is like:
root - 5000 meg
swap - 2000 meg

The remaining 113gig or so I want to be able to create metadevices and
have some flexibility in resizing them dynamically as needed, without
making my mirror desync.
I guess the question is multi-part.

1 - Does anyone have any experience with EVMS? Any caveats?
2 - Do I want to create one big 113 gig filesystem, convert it to a
metadevice, then mirror that metadevice, then subdivide that
metadevice into "partitions" ? Or have I mucked up the order of
operations here?

-- Trey

Trey Darley - Chief Technical Monkey
AIS Computers - www.aiscomputers.com
165 Carnegie Place
Fayetteville, GA 30214
Work: 770.461.2147, ext. 128
Mobile: 404.455.1516

[Please note that the opinions I express are not to be in any way
construed as those of AIS, unless that is expressly stated.]