[ale] mount audio cd?

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 5 01:12:41 EST 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 09:18:21PM -0500 Jim Philips <jcphil at mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 December 2002 09:12 pm, David S. Jackson wrote:
> > I've been looking through the manpages wondering whether it's
> > possible to "mount" an audio cd.  I haven't found a way or an
> > indication that there is a way.  The purpose would be to play an
> > audio cd from a remote CD tray.  Yes, I know you can rip the
> > tunes and export the mp3s via nfs, but if you don't have the
> > space or don't have the time or don't have the processing
> > power...or if you just want to listen to the darned thing without
> > messing with mp3s, how could you do it?  This would be done from
> > a machine whose cdrom was already in use for something else.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> I use XMMS to play CD's all of the time. It finds the songs in
> /mnt/cdrom. So, yes, it's possible to mount an audio CD.

But could you cd to /mnt/cdrom and do a ls?  I don't think so.  I
think xmms just talks to the kernel drivers directly through
libcdaudio, cdrom.h, and whatever else.  It's not talking to a
filesystem driver like ext{2,3} or iso9660.  So the device is not
really "mounted"; it's just being accessed directly.  So if it's
not really mounted or visible to a
mount_{iso9660,ext2,vfs,whatever} program, then nfs and the like
can't get a hold of it either.  I think there would have to be
something like a mount_cdda program out there.  (I hear BeOS has
such a capability.)

Hey, I'm just reasoning out loud here; I don't claim to know what
the hell I'm talking about.  :-)

I'm still reading through the xmms source and the cdaudio
plugin--haven't found enlightenment (the condition, not the wm)
yet.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net