[ale] [OT] Misc. brain droppings for a December storm

Brian J. Dowd bdowd at dentfirst.com
Wed Dec 4 14:42:39 EST 2002

>1) I've got all my machines on UPSs now, and this highly desireable
>technology has me confused a little bit. Why is it you never see a UPS
>built into a tower case/power supply? Getting rid of at least one _thick_
>wire, possibly two, an extra box to secure away from feet and pesky
>fingers, plus the electrical inefficiencies (probably minimal) of
>switching from mains to battery to mains to mommy board  seems like a
>desireable thing to do, yet I have yet to see it done. I must be missing
>something important, but what?

The reason could be that separate components are always better. That's
the rationale behind Unix;
many small programs which each do one thing well... Just because you can
aggregate components
doen't mean you should. Additionally I've found I can fry eggs on my
UPS. I wouldn't want it in the
same case as my CPU.

<snip>

>  Or is it more likely that I'm just plain nuts?

Never ask a question like this on the ale mailing list ;-)