[ale] OT: Labels on CD-Rs

GregJohnson.Com MailReply at GregJohnson.Com
Wed Dec 4 02:35:39 EST 2002

Mmm, methinks you're getting standard mileage here...

AFAIK, all the CD-Rs I've played with are constructed consistent with your
description.  (i.e. hunk of plastic, miniscule layer of dye, and microscopic
layer of plastic on top to contain said dye.)  Based on my reading and
limited personal experience, a quick way to destroy any CD-R is to try to
peel a label off.   Personally, I'm surprized you have any dye left at all.
(BTW, pedantically speaking your dye is most likely Phtalocyanine
http://www.xdr2.com/CDR-Info/Dye.htm, as alumium is only used in
mass-produced "stamped" CDs)  Disclaimer: Nearly every disc I've ever burnt
was "a really cheap CD-R"

Spitballing, the CD-Rs have pre-positioned pits/lands, but unlike a pressed
CD the information is actually in the dye, as opposed to the alumium/gold
merely serving as a reflector for the information in the plastic. Thus, no
joy after damage.

My impression of the explosion issues was that it took a material disc
defect (crack, flaw) or serious mis-balance (big lable on the outer edge)
for this to become plausible.  I'm sure this'll get answered in other mails,
but in case it doesn't is there any public reporting on the "Sharpie
threat?"

My $0.02.

-Greg